Monday, September 18, 2006

An unwanted gift… Calling all cat lovers

Help! There’s this cat, a likeable enough critter, who is trying to win me over. It’s an uphill battle, as I’m allergic. So I tend to avoid cats. Therefore, they love me. Even the most anti-social cats find their way to me, to seductively slink around my legs, letting their tails casually curl around my calves. Sometimes I can be won over. I’ll scratch them a bit, always mindful to wash my hands before scratching my eyes.

But this one, my neighbor’s cat, wants into my house as well as my heart. That just can’t happen. I call it Spook – and I guess he’s a he. Apparently he adopted Mr. Lalor and his brother, who lived in my flat before I did. Mr. Lalor fell to his charms, but never went so far as to name him (or determine if he’s a boy or not.) When I was checking out my flat, before moving in, Spook was in the bedroom, on the bed frame that had been left here. So I know he’s used to coming in. But I just won’t go that far.

At first, he was just curling up on my front door mat, outside my sliding glass door each night. Surely I would notice his persistence and give in, right? No. He warmed my heart a bit, but my line is drawn. I’m standing firm. So then he started to bring me gifts, trying to persuade me. But this was his mistake. See, his gifts are dead birds.

Spook delivering one of his gifts.

The first time I heard a constant meowing outside the door. I wasn’t sure what was going on, so I looked outside. He was sitting there patiently waiting for me to ooze praise and welcome him into my home. I stared at him, and then went back inside. Huh. I wasn’t sure exactly what to do. I didn’t want to encourage him – and have him kill more birds. But I wanted to let him know I appreciated his effort. I left some leftover salmon paté (don’t ask – it was a mistake) which was gone in the morning. But that didn’t work. It only encouraged him. There’ve been at least half a dozen ‘gifts’ now. Spook is single handedly disrupting the local breeding season.

And such nice birds too. The Silvereye, a cute little green and peach thing, with a ring around its eye.

So I’m asking your help. What do I do? How do I get Spook to stop bringing me gifts?

_________________________________________

For the birders in the crowd, here’s a link to the Silvereye’s bio, and it’s song.

7 Comments:

At Tue Sep 19, 12:07:00 AM GMT+12, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmm, wish I knew. Unfortunantely, we usually go the other way and adopt every cat in sight. We've got five now and are, so far, holding the line (if anyone with five could be described as holding the line).

 
At Tue Sep 19, 05:19:00 AM GMT+12, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems hard core, but, do not feed it. Do not let it in. You're going to have to out-wait the cat and the relentless meowing at your door. This, by the way, can go on and on. Cats are very persistent. Another option... get a dog!

 
At Tue Sep 19, 08:15:00 PM GMT+12, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Think of this like a dating situation. Here is a little guy making advances, lookin' for some love. Those little gifts are kind of like a dowry. Once you let him in, he will grow fat on your salmon paté and complacent in front of the TV and forget about those little gifts.

 
At Wed Sep 20, 01:11:00 PM GMT+12, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recommend a squirt gun. We have a very friendly and persistant neighborhood cat who was always trying to sneak into our house (He succeeded a few times) After a few months of firm no's he has pretty much given up, although he still looks for affection sometimes. I do think he has kept a distance from me since I squirted towards him with the gardening hose a few times when he came by to visit while I was watering the garden....

Deb

 
At Thu Sep 28, 02:48:00 AM GMT+12, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bryan, Bryan, Bryan, you committed the cardinal sin - feeding him! ABSOLUTELY NO FOOD! In fact, no attention whatsoever when he brings gifts. No acknowledgement of his presence.

Ooh, the hardass approach. But it's the only way.

xo
P

 
At Sat Dec 18, 04:50:00 PM GMT+13, Blogger Shazzy said...

Hi Bryan, keep a small bottle of water with a sqirter on top handy as cat's hate water or most do anyhow and it's a gentle approach.
However, if you like cats, get a DEVON REX as they are non-allergic to humans.
Good luck!
Sharon :-)

 
At Sat Dec 18, 04:51:00 PM GMT+13, Blogger Shazzy said...

Hi Bryan, just on the opposite side of things. If you do really want a non-allergic cat, the devon rex is the one for you. But yeah, get yourself a bottle with a squirter on the top & keep it handy. It's the gentle approach & they hate water.
Good luck!
Sharon :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home